Friday, March 25, 2011

King David of Israel

The following devotional thought was written by the late Rev. Guy Tilley of Kingsport, Tennessee:


Psalm 5:2&3 Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto thee will I pray. My voice shalt thou hear in the morning. O Lord; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.


Psalm 55:17 Evening and morning and at noon, will I pray and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice. Verse 22 Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and he shall sustain thee.


Remember the old hymn ‘Take Your Burdens to the Lord and Leave Them There’. That was David’s choice.


In the New Testament in I Thessalonians 5:17 we are told to Pray without ceasing. Romans 12:12 tells us to be instant in prayer. Do these verses mean that we should walk around with our eyes closed and hands folded? No, it is a heart attitude, such that we could talk to the Lord regardless of our surroundings.


Think of the report found in Daniel in 6:10. Daniel knew that the king had been deceived into issuing a decree that no one could pray to anyone but the king for thirty days. Regardless, Daniel did as he did each day with his window open toward Jerusalem, he knelt upon his knees three times a day and prayed three times a day and gave thanks to God as he always did, knowing that there is no time that is not a good time to pray.


David, a king and Daniel, a man high in the government of a heathen nation, taking time to pray three times a day. They knew it was a great privilege to pray to the God o heaven, knowing he hears and cares.

Have you talked to the Lord today?

No comments:

Post a Comment